Lake Front Royal Property Owners Association, Inc.
Lake Front Royal Property Owners Association, Inc. Lake Front Royal Property Owners Association, Inc. serves as the governance association for the Lake Front Royal community
115 Lake Front Road Front Royal VA 22630
? /
Lake Front Royal Property Owners Association, Inc.

March 15, 2012

Digital Attachement

 

LFRPOA Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

15 March 2012

1186 High Ridge Road

7:00 pm

Call to Order: 7:05 pm

Quorum: Michael Yoka (via telecom link); Betty Boyd, Bruce McClanahan; Elaine

Ryan, Linda McCarthy.

Residents in attendance: Roger Boyd, Vince Ryan, Paul Smith, and Sherman

Springfield.

Minutes of last meeting: The minutes were read, amended, and approved.

Officer’s Reports:

President: The Website continues to be problematic. Michael is still working with the

Webmaster to bring the site back online.

Vice President: Absent.

Treasurer: Betty reported on her ongoing—and highly successful efforts—to collect payments due on foreclosed properties and from delinquent property owners. Because of her yeomen service, the amount of outstanding maintenance fees owed to the Association totals less than one percent. Betty also reported that the accounting firm of Noble and Noble is now preparing the Association’s taxes. She is also working with one of their accountants on an Association budget, something that hasn’t been achieved in over a

year.

Secretary: Nothing to report. Committee Reports Architectural: Nothing to report.

Articles, Covenants, and By-laws: Nothing to report.

Roads: Bruce reported that he is making plans for extensive road treatments throughout the community, now that there are additional funds to do so. There is the ongoing difficulty of securing a reputable contractor with good equipment; the vast majority of paving concerns elect to bypass smaller jobs, like roadwork in Lake Front Royal and similar communities. However, Bob Lake is eager to work with the Association, and will provide an estimate to grade and gravel the dirt roads. In addition, there are numerous needed repairs to existing paved portions; Bruce suggested that tar and chip could be applied to these problem areas. To the extent permitted by available funds, asphalt paving of unimproved sections will be undertaken as soon as possible. How much of this can actually be accomplished is dependent upon steadily rising costs in materials, as the cost of petroleum-based products continues to skyrocket. Betty made a motion to begin spending the necessary funds to repair and upgrade the roads, as outlined by Bruce.

Elaine seconded, and the motion carried on a voice vote. To expedite road maintenance and keep it on track between formal Board meetings, Betty made another motion that ongoing road work be approved via email voting. Elaine seconded, and the motion carried by voice vote.

 

Building, Grounds, and Safety: Elaine reported that work on the dam is scheduled to

get underway next month (April), and should only require a few days to complete. During this process, the dam will undergo two or three inspections. Once the upgrades are successfully accomplished, the dam will be in compliance with the state code governing dams owned and maintained by private entities. This certification will last for six years.

What remained of the dilapidated playground equipment has been removed by Kevin Barry. Most of the salvage was hauled away; suitable wooden pieces were retained for use as signs posts, et al.

Elaine, Betty, and Bruce reported on vandalism sustained to the common area between the parking lot and the lake on 8 March. Two individuals witnessed a red vehicle, repeatedly barreling around the area, creating deep tire cuts in the turf. The license plate number was captured and then reported to the Sheriff’s Office; the Commonwealth’s Attorney is looking into how best to prosecute the driver. There was universal agreement among Board members that the miscreant should be required to work-off the damages as a form of community service.

Unfinished Business: None. New Business:

1. Betty recommended replacing the cork and wood bulletin board at the mailboxes with a shatterproof message center, versions of which are used in national forests and by the Park Service. Michael will further research the idea and report back to the Board.

2. Community resident Roger Boyd inquired about re-stocking the lake with fish. He then volunteered to contact the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries about possible costs and suitable fish species.

3. Betty discussed the plot on Orchard Tree Drive that the Association owns, but doesn’t appear on plat maps. Consisting of soil that won’t perc, the lot has been, and will continue to be used, as a disposal site for discarded stumps, brush, and clean fill.

4. According to Betty, the low-water, footbridge by the mailboxes has been deemed safe for now by our new insurance agent.

5. Betty offered to obtain a notary commission on behalf of the Association. Elaine made a motion to authorize the Association to underwrite the necessary fee; Linda seconded. The motion carried on a voice vote.

The meeting adjoined at 8:20 pm.

The next regularly scheduled Board meeting will be held at Michael’s house on

Thursday, 17 May 2012 at 7:00 pm.